Program Change or Area of Specialization Change in Health Studies

Program Changes

Sometimes you may find your choice of major or area of specialization is not really working out for you. Your interests may change, they may deepen and you want to specialize in another area of the Health Studies program, they may broaden and you want to include new areas of study. Changing majors is a possibility but you should seek advice.

There are many types of program changes.

Sometimes changing your major may mean also changing Faculties (Health to Science for example) and sometimes it may also mean changing your degree (from BA to BSc for example).

Sometimes you may find your interests becoming more focused in the major you have chosen. You may want to change from a 90 credit Bachelors of Health Studies (BHS) program to a 120 credit Bachelor of Health Studies Honours (BHS Hon) Note: A 5.0 average is required to make this type of change.

All of these types of change requests (and others) can be submitted via the Registrar’s Office Program Change website, which includes a video tutorial on how to make change requests.

But advising is critical to help ensure success on your new path.

You should schedule an appointment to meet with an academic advisor in the Office of Student and Academic Services (OSAS) in the Faculty of Health who will explain the change rules, admission requirements, processes, timelines and provide you with a degree checklist.

Course Relief

York University allows eligible undergraduate students who have changed their program degree or major to exclude courses completed toward the prior major requirements from their Overall Cumulative GPA (OCGPA) and credit totals for their new program of study.

This policy aims to help students continue in and graduate from a new academic program.

Eligible students

You are eligible if you are either:

  1. A continuing undergraduate student who has:
    1. completed fewer than 84 earned credits and,
    2. met the eligibility requirements for a new academic program


  2. An undergraduate student returning after a Required Withdrawal or Debarment who:
    1. meets the eligibility requirements for the new program and,
    2. whose request for a program change has been approved by the new academic program

Eligible courses

Courses eligible for exclusion from the OCGPA include all subject courses taken previously that will not count as major credits in the new academic program. You can use the previous major courses as elective credits in your new degree program.

Ineligible courses

The General Education and elective courses you completed in the first Major program are not eligible for Course Relief. Courses where a penalty for a breach of academic honesty is imposed are not eligible for Course Relief.

How to apply

You must confirm your eligibility for the Course Relief Policy and become informed about the degree requirements for your new program. If you wish to exercise this option, you must make an appointment first to discuss your options with the Office of Student and Academic Services (OSAS) in the Faculty of Health.

A record of all completed courses and the original grades awarded will remain on your transcript. Courses which are excluded from your OCGPA under Course Relief will appear on your transcript with a qualifier (RLF) next to the grade.